Thursday, June 12, 2008

What a Mess!

My heart was beating quickly, my stove has all four burners going, the dinner table is set, all the gear for bathtime, storytime and bedtime is ready. It was 6:45, time for my class, and daughter and daddy were and their own! Their tummies were empty, the bathtub was never touched, and the books remained in the same pile. The crying for "Mommy, mommy, mommy!" (daughter, not Daddy!) and Daddy with persistent, quietly uttered swear words, songs, dollies, cookies, Diego and Dora, and even a favorite blanket could not prevent the baby from wanting her mommy!
Meanwhile mommy was having another mess online. After typing as quickly as I could to keep up with the chatting, my group told me that I wasn’t in their list to work with them. I was mistakenly located in the wrong group. I could not join the chat within my own group because I wasn’t in their list, and could not just jump in and start chatting in a group that was having a conversation already for 45 minutes. I called my teacher right away after class was over to clarify for me what group I belonged to so I could be part of the chat from the beginning of the class.
With the mess of having the noise of my daughter crying and the technology problems against me I felt that this course was not going to give the same type of satisfaction that the last ones had. I felt that technology is not always good especially when things can not be immediately fixed.

1 comment:

dkeane said...

Kristen, you're not alone. This class has been a trial for everyone. I know how difficult it can be with work and family to juggle as well as trying to read, create assignments and be an active part of your group. I also have experienced several nights with family routines entirely shattered as I worked online. There is a saying "that which doesn't destroy you makes you stronger." I expect that twenty five people will emerge from this class extremely strong, and ready to take on the world. Keep going, we're almost there! Deb