Thursday, June 12, 2008

Support Groups

There have been different kinds of groups that I’ve been part of in my life depending on the phase I'm in. I am going to briefly recall some of them:
My childhood group: playing in the park, riding bikes, celebrating birthdays with games and piñatas, tea parties for the dolls.
My neighborhood group: lots of parties and laughs, concerts together, sports, sharing tears from having the same adolescent problems.
My college group: Extended hours of studying, sharing big ambitions, not being certain of where we were going to stand in our careers in the future.
My Ed 5921 graduate group: The group that held me up during the fall 2007 semester, shared lots of frustration, stress and satisfaction.
My motherhood group: When Hanna was 4 months old I started to join “The Little Gym” and I had the wonderful pleasure of meeting a group of moms. Even today I still bring Hanna to the Little Gym and have become good friends with two other moms that have daughters the same age as Hanna. Now Hanna is having her first interactive play group, where the kids are finally old enough to learn the social rules we all (or most of us anyway) live by. I hope she will learn to share, to talk, to play, and generally enjoy socializing with new friends.
This group has been the most supportive group for me as a new mom. I have been able to share my concerns about my daughter, to learn new ways of how to teach my daughter things, to go out and have a break from the house chores, and most importantly to feel that I was not the only one feeling so emotional, overwhelmed and concerned about my role as a first time mom.
Visit the links to find information about parenting groups that I've enjoyed reading.

No comments: